I’m having a bit of a resurgence in interest in doing “stuff” for wargaming, and as a result my brain is going overboard with ideas and lots of “ooh shiny” moments.
Currently I’m waiting on some 20mm buildings from HACME, have about 100+ LOTR Rohan figures to paint, the remnants of about 5 6mm Spanish Napoleonic units to paint, so it makes perfect sense for me to be thinking “I’d really like to get some more ancients. I wonder what goes with my Marian Romans/Spanish/Maccabean Jewish that I currently have” because clearly the Jewish don’t go with the Marians in any sense of contemporaneous sense!
I’m thinking DBA 3.0, and some quick and dirty ancients games to make use of my desert GeoHex which I’ve had for a few years and never actually used.
Then there’s the 15mm Vietnam project, for which I’ve recently bought 2 QRF hueys (urgh – review to follow at some stage) and 4 Revell Plastic hueys. Itching to get these on table and start playing some Charlie Don’t Surf, and think of how to interface that and FNG/Combat Patrol into a campaign type environment – almost certainly the existing OPS system I’ve got.
I also think I need to change the blog layout. The main page looked really smart when I started and was focussed on only a couple of things, but now it’s very diverse it needs changing.
I’ve had a surge of enthusiasm recently since switching off the Flight Sim server for a little while and having a break/wind down from all the stress that was causing. As a result I’ve had a number of real productive sessions doing one thing or another for wargaming.
We have been trying to sort out a calendar of games for the near future, as too many weeks end up being “what are we doing next week” and as a result we either end up with Dominion, Carcassonne (Both great games in their own right) or something completely new. What we aren’t doing is playing a ruleset for a few weeks to get back into the groove, and therefore nights are spent more looking at the rulebook and trying to remember what the hell is going on, rather than enjoying the game. Anyway, this prompted me to look at what I wanted to do for a few weeks and I decided I wanted to play Combat Patrol with Matt, Richard and Peter, first in it’s WW2 setting, and then possibly moving into Vietnam again.
My 20mm terrain is looking pretty tired, and to be honest desperately needs revamping. So I bought the farm below from Commission Figurines. (www.commission-figurines.co.uk)
I’ve got some of his other ruined terrain and like it so thought I’d splash out on something a bit bigger. A couple of days later I had a box of MDF in front of me. The kit itself is very straight forward to put together, to be honest I think it slotted together without glue for the most part in about 5 minutes. However, once built I wasn’t entirely happy with it. MDF is fantastic for some things, but representing slate and stone I don’t rate it up there.
So I set about customising the kit a little
First I glued some window cills and lintels cut from thin card. Using the same thin card, I cut some individual stones to put on the corners of the main farmhouse, as if that had been standing first, then the yard walls had been joined onto the building. Then I got some mounting board and made some shutters, scoring the front to represent planking. Then I remembered some laser cut shingles from Warbases which were left over from the 28mm Barn. So I used them on one of the 3 roofs. Of course, this just made the other two look even worse, so I took an old cereal box and cut some strips of tiles myself. They’re too big really for 20mm, and I did each strip freehand without reference to the one before, so some of the tiles don’t overlap quite right. But, the general impression is reasonably good. Last thing to do was to coat the entire surface in a mix of PVA, water and some ready mixed filler I had knocking around. This tip from Richard Clarke is very good, and it really does a lot to give a textured surface without going to extremes. It also is very useful for disguising the corner tabs of the MDF.
An overall spray of Matt Brown, then a heavy dry brush of “cashmere” and a lighter dry brush of “Ivory” (both Homebase tester pots) and the main walls were done. Dark green paintwork for the wooden fixtures, and black roofs dry brushed with Vallejo Black Grey and then very light GW Space Wolves Grey and we’re done, with the usual ground texturing and paintwork to match my figure bases.
I’m quite pleased with the overall effect. And it’s proved a useful test bed for painting buildings which will come in handy as I have 6 new scratchbuilds coming from Stephan at HACME Construction (Rapier Mini’s). Only problem is that I’m now even less satisfied with my old scratchbuild terraces, I think they’ll be getting a repaint and some shutters/new roofs shortly.