This is how I’m painting my Portuguese. I’m using the Baccus Belgic Shako British.
- Paint the trousers, arms and area below the cross belts in GW Royal Blue
- Paint the collar and cuffs to match the regiment facings.
- Paint the musket butt, backpack and waterbottle GW Bestial Brown.
- Paint the rolled coat and breadbags Space Marine Grey. I’ve also painted what I take to be the messtin on the pack grey as I didn’t want them to stand out.
- Paint the cross belts, shako plumes and straps white.
- Paint the flesh. A blob for nose, cheeks and line for mouth where possible.
- Paint the shako plate and cord with Shining Gold. Tidy up with black where necessary as the cords aren’t always easy to hit.
- Paint musket barrel and bayonet/swords in Boltgun Metal.
- Paint figure base in basing brown.
I’ve undercoated from Black and mounted a unit of 6 strips per length of 10-15mm stripwood.
Here’s some pictures of the 2 brigades of Portuguese I’ve painted and based so far. These belong to Cambell’s Portuguese Division and are 2 battalions each of the 4th, 10th, 2nd and 14th Regiments.